Mangoes are a very delicious fruit filled with fiber (great for roughage), and full of health benefits.
- Antioxidant compounds in mango fruit have been found to protect against colon, breast, leukemia and prostate cancers. The compounds include quercetin, isoquercitrin, astragalin, fisetin, gallic acid and methylgallat, as well as the abundant enzymes.
- Mangoes are great for beautiful skin. They clear clogged pores and eliminate pimples.
- A cup of sliced mangoes provides 25% of your daily Vitamin A requirement. Vitamin A helps with eyesight and prevents dry-eye and night blindness
- They are a wonderful source of Vitamin E which helps with your libido (oh, it’s also great for the skin)
- They have enzymes that break down protein.
- With a host of 25 different kinds of carotenoids, they help keep your immune system strong and healthy.
Mangoes are often sold on the street with chili on them. They are eaten as a snack or to complement a meal. Here is a recipe to recreate your own Kenyan-style mango snack.
Mangoes and Chili (Maembe na pilipili). It includes a recipe to make your own chili.
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp citric acid
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl
Sprinkle liberally on mangoes or whatever you think needs a kick!