Ndengu is that unassuming little green bean that packs a whole lot of healthy into a tiny little body (you could say it is almost magical). In Chinese natural medicine and Indian Ayurveda, green mung beans are frequently recommended to detoxify the body and get rid of chronic illnesses.
Here are just a few of the health benefits you can get from eating it:
1. Lower Cholesterol – Mung beans are low in cholesterol and high in soluble dietary fibers. Dietary fiber refers to certain food particles that cannot be digested. Soluble fiber when mixed with water in the digestive tract will form a gel-like material, which in turn aids in supporting essential bodily functions. They also help lower LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) by encouraging the production of LDL receptors that are responsible for removing excess LDL cholesterol out of the blood stream. It is recommended to consume 10 to 25 g of soluble fiber per day to reduce the amount of LDL cholesterol. Mung beans contain 1.9 g of total dietary fiber per cup.
2. Fight Breast Cancer – Mung beans contain protease inhibitors. Protease inhibitors slow the replication of certain cancer cells including those found in breast cancer. Protease inhibitors are known to block and prevent formation of tumor cells.
3. Relieve Hot Flashes/Post-Menopause – Mung beans are a a good source of phytoestrogen which has been shown to relieve hot flashes that are often disruptive and unpleasant.
4. Slow or Prevent Osteoporosis – Phytoestrogen has also been shown to prevent the often devastating effects of osteoporosis by stimulating bone formation.
5. Diabetes Friendly – As a low glycemic index food, they promote healthy blood sugar levels and have shown promise in reducing blood glucose, plasma C-peptide, glucagon and blood urea nitrogen levels in non-human type-2 diabetic subjects in recent studies.
6. Protein Source – Mung beans contain approximately 3.16 g of protein per cup (meat contains 7 g per cup).
7. Weight Control – Mung beans are filling and a low calorie dense food.
8. Blood Pressure Control – Mung beans are high in potassium which helps control blood pressure. They are also sodium free, so no danger of a sodium-induced pressure attack.
9. Promotes Heart Health – Mung beans contain magnesium which helps the veins and arteries to relax, lessening resistance and improving the flow of blood, oxygen, and nutrients throughout the body. Research has shown that a deficiency of magnesium is not only associated with a heart attack but that immediately following a heart attack, a lack of magnesium promotes free radical damage to the heart.
10. Anti-inflammatoryAgent – This bean is an anti-inflammatory food and helps to heal the body.